25.11.11

Charli XCX - Nuclear Seasons Single Review

The first time I listened to Charli XCX was the ridiculously dirty and bitchy in only the way teenage girls can be '!Franchesckaar!'. A couple of years later and she has a must more grown up sound with a vocal which is reminiscent of Marina and the Diamonds, and that is definitely not a bad thing I'm sure you'll all agree.

Although she's only 19 (the same age as me) she's no novice, she's been playing in bands at the age of 7 and recorded her first album at 14. There are of course many comparisons to be made; Robyn (who she has supported) and MIA amongst others.

At first I thought 'Nuclear Seasons' was slightly too repetitive, however after listening to it a few times I found my head moving like Churchill, and after a couple more times of pressing repeat I found myself mumbling "We survived nuclear seasons" and my cat looking at me with a confused expression. Despite all the comparisons for me this still feels unique and certainly a varied offering from all of the other strong women of pop.

The song could quite easily be mistaken for dream like with the smooth and soothing voice Charli XCX possesses. The dream is often punctuated with "Ooo ooo oo ahhhh"'s and a driving and pulsating rhythm which your head uncontrollably ends up undulating to. I would like her to maybe consider going back to her dirtier roots, but that's just my personal enjoyment of things fast and deep (music that is!).
.
Based upon this offering I would definitely enjoy the album entitled 'Stay Away' which was released earlier this year. And you can currently get your paws on 'Nuclear Seasons' for free on Charli XCX's website. If you want to witness her in action in the flesh her tour dates and how to get tickets are here. 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?..Yes, you!